Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Polar Plunge

Planned on fishing Lake St. Clair with Joe this afternoon. Temperature was in the lower thirties with a breeze out of the southwest at 10 knots. Since we were going out later, we planned on fishing until dark.

Drove by Cotton Road and the parking lots were crowded with a lot of people on the lake. We decided to try Salt River because it would be a shorter walk, and from past experience, better fishing. When we arrived at Salt River we talked to another fisherman who was heading out. He said he did good last weekend but as he was talking to his buddies on his cell phone they said the fishing was not that good and the water was a bit cloudy today. We watched him leave the canal heading towards the Salt River and walk out onto Lake St. Clair.

We got our gear together and made our way towards the lake. I was about 15 feet onto the canal when I fell through the ice. After several tries of falling backwards, I finally made it on to solid ice. As I was soaking wet from my feet to my waist, our fishing trip came to an abrupt finish.

On the way back home we stopped and talked to a few fishermen at Cotton Road who said the fishing was not that good.

It sure seemed as though it would have been a good afternoon for fishing as far as the weather went, but I guess when you're soaking wet you don't want to stick around and find out.

Guess I should have just gone to Belle Isle where they held the Law Enforcement Torch Run Polar Plunge into the Detroit River today! By the way, we didn't catch any fish today. P.S. No photo today since I was otherwise occupied!

Planning on fishing next weekend with John Hiltz.

No comments: