Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dink City


Fished Metro Beach on Lake St. Clair with Doug S. Temperature this morning was 22 degrees and when we quit fishing it was in the lower 30s. The skies were overcast for the first couple of hours and then the sun came out. The wind was out of the northeast 10 to 15 knots. The ice is 12 inches thick. We took the 2 way radios along so we could split up and stay in touch. He fished in front of the flag pole in 2 feet of water and I headed out to the point and fished in 2 to 6 feet of water. I took along the shanty so I could do some sight fishing in the shallow water. I set up in 5 foot of water and put the first pole in the hole and was just starting to set up the second pole when I started to get some bites. Caught a 7 inch perch (released) and thought we were in for a great day. Set the pole back in the water and another fish hit, about 6 inches long. For the next 2 1/2 hours I moved in and out and could not get rid of the small perch. When you dropped the bait in the water 10 to 12 perch would attack it before it got close to the bottom. I know that I caught more than one hundred fish but none were keepers. Called Doug on the radio and he had 4 fish he kept. I headed back to where Doug was fishing and he caught one more fish and another fisherman gave him 5 fish so we came home with 10 perch.

No comments: