Tuesday, January 5, 2010

First Trip to Lake St. Clair

Got a report last night that they were catching some nice fish at South River Rd. in Campau Bay so I decided to make a trip out there. The temperature this morning was in the lower 20s with the wind blowing 10 knots out of the northwest. The ice is 5 to 6 inches thick. When I arrived at the boat launch a guy was walking off the ice so I asked how he did fishing and he said he only caught a few dink perch fishing in front of the bar. I was heading towards the center of the bay so I figured his report did not matter. Made my way across the bay where there were 4 guys fishing. Stopped and talked to all 4 guys and between them they had 1 perch. Not a good sign. I started fishing and they all left so I was by myself. Made a lot of moves in this area and only caught 1 fish and as I was getting ready to leave two other fisherman were coming out. Talked to them and they had been fishing the spillway and Gino's where they only caught a couple of small perch. I explained how the fishing was out here and we all left together. On the way back to the car I stopped and talked to 2 guys fishing in front of the bar and they had about 10 perch between 4 and 6 inches in their bucket.

No comments: